This brief guide provides basic information on getting started with library research in the field of psychology.
- The Find Books and Media tab provides brief directions about how to access the library catalog within the library's new information platform, Eastern Quicksearch. There is also breakdown of psychology call numbers which shows the broad topics covered by the Library of Congress classification numbers associated with psychology. This is followed by a short list of representative subject headings that can be used to search for books, DVDs, and other materials about psycholgy.
- The Find Articles tab has links to several recommended databases in the field of psychology. Databases let you enter a topic to receive a list of articles that have been published in academic journals, magazines, and newspapers about the topic. Some databases also provide that actual articles online.
- The Reference tab provides a list of print reference books that can be found on the library's main floor in the Reference section. Reference books include encyclopedias, dictionaries, statistical compilations, and other sources intended to let you look up facts or obtain quick background information.
- The Websites tab provides a brief list of websites that are maintained by various psychological organizations and associations.
- The Cite Your Sources tab provides links to a a description of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association and to a short guide that can help you document the souces of information that you have used for papers and projects.
You can search books, e-books, articles, and other materials all together with the Eastern Quicksearch feature. However, please be aware that you should SIGN ON to Quicksearch with your Eastern network credentials to gain full access. Also be aware that NOT EVERYTHING the library owns or has access to is included in Quicksearch. Don't forget that you can still search the individual subject databases if your Quicksearch results are not satisfactory.
Reference librarians can assist in the use of any of the library's resources and services and can help you with assignments and term papers.