Introduction to Interlibrary Loan / ILLiad
Please note: The service is sometimes referred to as the ILLiad service. ILLiad is the name of the interlibrary loan software used by many academic libraries.
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is at your service to help you expand your research beyond Eastern. If you discover a resource that is not found here, or at any of the Connecticut State University system libraries (includes Southern, Western, Central, Connecticut State Library, and all the community colleges), please submit a request and we will attempt to borrow it for you from another library.
This is a special service that relies heavily on a network of faith, goodwill, and the library community's commitment to sharing. J. Eugene Smith Library's ability to borrow from other institutions across the country and the world depends on how careful each and every ECSU patron is with the materials they receive and the prompt return of all items borrowed.
All currently enrolled students, faculty and staff of Eastern Connecticut State University are welcome to make use of this service.
If you have any questions or comments, please email the ILL department or call 860-465-4506.
First Time Users
How to submit an Interlibrary Loan / ILLiad request:
Create an account:
- Read the Introduction to Interlibrary Loan / ILLIad in this guide. (See box to the left.)
- Read the Copyright information in this guide.
- Read the First Time information and click on the link at the bottom of the page to get to the Registration Form.
- Create an account by completely filling out the Registration Form and click 'Submit Information' at the bottom of the page.
Place a request:
- If you know the citation of the item you want, log in to ILLiad (from the box to the right in this guide or from the Library's web page, click on the Interlibrary Loan link under Services) and fill out all the required fields.
- If you find an item you want in the process of searching our Databases or Eastern Quick Search, click on the link. Log in to ILLiad and the citation information will automatically fill in the ILL request form.
Receive your request:
- You will be notified by email when the book or article is ready for pick up. If your request is a book, it will be on the Hold Shelf at the Library Circulation Desk. If it is an article, you will be directed to log in to your ILLiad account where there will be a link to your article.
Request Books from CT state universities and community colleges
Search Eastern Quick Search, limit your search to CSCU Library Consortium. If the book you need is not available at Eastern but it is available at any of the Connecticut state universities or community colleges, click on the book title and within the record click on REQUEST and choose PickUp Location: Eastern. The book will be delivered within approximately 7 days. You will be notified when it is ready for pick up from the Hold shelf at the Library Circulation Desk.
Please note: You may not request articles or ebooks from the consortium. Use the Interlibrary Loan / ILLiad system instead.